Friday, February 1, 2013

Real Life Adaptations and Ideas!

Welcome!
 
I am starting this blog to share about the new program that I am building at Handprints & Footsteps..."Real Life Adaptations and Ideas."  I have 10 years experience as a pediatric physical therapist who is passionate about adaptive equipment and increasing independence for all kids and families.  I also have extensive experience in the "real home environment" as an in-home caregiver for many individuals with a variety of needs since 2000.  Some of the things that can be addressed with this new program include:

·   Adaptive Equipment Needs

               -power and manual wheelchairs, medical strollers, walkers, gait trainers,
  standers, etc.

·   Positioning and Set-up of switches and other toys and environmental controls

·   Home Visits
 
                 -bathroom and bedroom set-up ideas for transfers, positioning, etc.

                 -transfer training for caregivers (including grandparents and others)

                 -developing ways to access other parts of the home more independently, etc.

·    Visits in Public Places to work on specific skills

                  -ie: practicing driving a power wheelchair at the local grocery store

·   PT sessions to specifically focus on Power Mobility (power wheelchairs) for kids who need “uncommon” methods to be successful

                   -ie: head control of the chair, very young children (as young as 12 months-old)
 

For more information on this program, feel free to contact me at Handprints and Footsteps (402-420-2099 or cscheer@hpnfs.com).  If you have ideas, please let me know.

I will also be using this blog to post about various adaptive equipment ideas that I come across (feel free to send me ideas, if you have some that have worked for you), as well as, sometimes posting about equipment that needs a new home or specific info nights/educational workshops at Handprints and Footsteps.

I hope you will join me on this journey to make Real Life Adaptations for real people!  I look forward to it.

Thanks!
Chrissy Scheer, PT

1 comment:

  1. I am so excited to be a part of this!...What a dream come true!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave comments, I would love to hear what works well for you and your friends and family members.